Tuesday, August 29, 2017

How to Achieve a Dream!

Hi Motiv8ers,

Coach Ty here again, and I want to talk to you about how to achieve a DREAM.  Not just any dream, but something that you have been dreaming about for years.  Because of life, your health, your finances, people saying you could never do that, or your dream is half way around the world, or you just haven't taken action on it, and it is something you are just left dreaming about.

One of my biggest dreams was to run a 100 mile race.  For 10 years I had that dream.  But I kept putting it off because I would always tell myself I would do it when I was financial stable, or I just wasn't fit enough, or just didn't have time to put in the work, or I would say, "I'll run one when I have a year that I am not injured."  I kept putting it off year after year and just kept making excuses.

Well, last year I got fed up and I made my dream come true.  Last summer I ran my very first 100 mile trail race out at Lake Tahoe.  It was amazing.

Well what changed in me that got my dream rolling?  I listened to this video.

It provoked me to do four very important things.  Without these four things I never would have started or accomplished my dream of running a 100 mile race.
  1. I found my goal and I set the date. I put the time, the day, and what I was going to do on that day down on paper.  Setting the date is so important. And I said to myself that no matter what, on that day I was going to step up and give everything I had to try and conquer that goal.
  2. I ASKED FOR HELP!!! I told everyone on Facebook, all of my friends, Every one at Boot Camp, I found a running coach, I found a group of runners that could give me advice, and I developed an accountability team.  This team kept me on track.
  3. I developed a PLAN.  I worked with my coach and we scheduled out everything I was going to do leading up to the 100 mile race.  I had every day for 5 months planned out.
  4. I wrote down my goal on my wall, in my notebooks, on my phone, and on my computer and I told myself every day that I was going to conquer my goal.  Never did I doubt my abilities to make my dream happen.  Nor was I going to let anything or anyone stop me from conquering my goal.
Crew, if you do these four steps, nothing is going to stop you from accomplishing your dream.  And number two is probably the biggest one.  Look, I had know idea how I was going to train for a 100 mile race or even how I was going to pay for my plane ticket to get down there.  Bu,t let me tell you after I announced it to the world what I was trying to accomplish I had people all over the place giving me advice and wanting to help me make this goal happen.

Trust me that is all it takes.

Now, let me tell you about a special person.  William Greer.

I met William about a month ago through my running Coach.  William is legally blind and was looking for a sighted guide to help him get through his first 50k Trail Race.  I was instantly inspired by his story and I didn't hesitate to contact him to see if I could help.  I was the first one to email him and he was so eager to meet me.  We instantly connected and now our goal of getting him through his First 50k happens tomorrow, Saturday, March 19th.  So Excited!!

William wasn't always blind. He was born with 20/20 vision.  At the age of 17 he suffered a severe brain injury.  Since then he has been legally blind.  He can see a little but it is very poor.  I have ran with him three times now and basically he can see the trail but he can't see details like puddles, roots, low hanging tree branches, or changes in elevation.

But here is the inspiring part.  His lack of vision doesn't slow him down.  I ran 7 miles with him last Saturday at an 8-minute pace and we were chatting the whole time.  That is wicked fast.  And never did he get nervous about hitting anything. I think I was more nervous then he was.  I would tell him about an obstacle coming up and he would just file in right behind me and we kept moving along at a fast pace. 

William found his passion for running back in 2005 and found that he could run even with his disability. He would need a little help at times from friends but it was definitely doable.  He started with 5k's and 10k's and then a friend inspired him to do a half marathon.  He said then that he would never do a marathon but that soon changed after his half. To this date, William has now completed 13 marathons including Boston.  And now tomorrow William is heading out to do his very first 50k Ultra Marathon. That is awesome. William is such an inspiration to me and I hope you find his story Motiv8ing as well.

Crew, you have been given dreams.  Every body dreams of doing something.  And you could say that your dreams could be your life's mission.  So what ever you do do not let anyone, anything, or any bad negative thought prevent you from making your dreams happen.  William has a huge obstacle.  His vision!  But that isn't stopping him from doing what he loves to do.

He set the goal, he asked for HELP, he wrote out the plan, and he didn't let anything talk him out of going for his dream.

Crew, get inspired and step up to life and make your dreams happen.  They aren't going to happen on their own.  You have to make it happen.  So right now...

Start Being EPIC and let's make some SHIT HAPPEN TOGETHER!

Crew Be EPIC and Don't Forget to Be AWESOME!

Coach Ty Out!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing

    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing

    Cristy

    ReplyDelete