Monday, May 2, 2016

Having trouble getting your greens?

Hi Motiv8ers!

Coach Vanessa here!  I hope you've been having a great Tuesday, and you made it to, or are going to make it to your SET!

Today, I want to talk about smoothies!  I'll start with a confession:

I don't get enough vegetables or calories in my diet!  It's a reoccurring problem for me.  I've been complaining to my mother lately that I'm tired a lot, and that I know I'm not getting enough carbs in my diet.   Not getting enough vegetables can lead to all sorts of health issues, including not performing at my peak during a race!  GASP.

My mom said, "your dad and I have been having green smoothies every morning."  Then, she went on to list a few different benefits, such as:

  • we get a lot more fiber in our diet, 
  • they are simple and very inexpensive,
  • you don't even taste the green part of the smoothie,
  • and, we both have a lot more energy.

I still wasn't convinced.  I was worried a large glass of liquid would leave me feeling bloated.  Then, my brother sent me some information on the smoothies he makes (perhaps my mom thought he could convince me).  He quelled a lot of my concerns.

So, I decided to do a bit of my own research.  Turns out, as we all have heard a lot over the last year, whole-food smoothies are convenient way to sneak more greens into your diet!  The more I read about green smoothies, the more benefits I discovered!  Such as (definitely NOT a complete list):

  • the sweetness in fruit mask the bitterness of greens,
  • therefore, children love them,
  • and, the reduced food particle size help maximize nutrient absorption!

Then, I started making my own.  Here's what I put in today's smoothie:

1-1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup kale
1 frozen banana, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 cup frozen peach, cut in cubes
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup water

Blend frozen fruit until smoothie (hehe), almond milk and water, then add greens.  Enjoy!

THAT EASY.  GUESS WHAT?  It's like drinking an ice cream shake!  I don't taste the spinach or kale (which I dislike a lot) one bit.  I can't wait to begin making different ones.  There are so many variations.  You can replace almond milk with soy, coconut, or cashew milk!  Or just water!  If you like a protein powder, you can add that as well.  You can use any kind of fruit you want.  For example, I don't care for fresh blueberries, but I really love the taste.   I'm going to try a PB2 shake soon.  With the frozen fruit, there's no need for ice!

So, if your bananas start to go bad, peel them and put them in the freezer!

Tell us your favorite green smoothie recipe in the comment section, and I'll try it!

Check out this video below if you want more in depth information on the benefits of green smoothies.

Have a great day, Motiv8ers!

Coach Vanessa
PS I do not feel bloated! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment